large congregation included past parish priests and school principals, Diamond
Valley Deanery priests, and parishioners, both past and present, from St
Peter’s, Hurstbridge, St Mary’s, Kinglake, and Sacred Heart. The school choir led
everyone in song.
hundred years of photos and memorabilia were displayed in the hall where all
gathered for afternoon tea. The ‘sacred’ parish tradition of afternoon tea
continued, and guests commented on the abundance of refreshments.
Heart of Jesus Catholic Church opened in 1874 on 24 February. Ashton Manor
Function Centre now incorporates this building within its facilities. Many
other Mass centres opened to the north and east, all serviced from Diamond
Creek and part of the Diamond Creek Parish when it was formally severed from
Heidelberg Parish and declared a stand-alone parish in February 1914:
St Mary’s, Kinglake.
St Gerard’s, Warrandyte.
Our Lady Help of Christians, Eltham.
Church of the Irish Martyrs, Arthur’s Creek.
St Teresa’s, Kinglake West,
St Peter’s, Hurstbridge.
following areas have been separated from Diamond Creek Parish to become
parishes in their own right:
Greensborough, including Montmorency, Watsonia and North Greensborough.
Warrandyte (joined with Park Orchards).
St Mary’s, Kinglake (to become part of Whittlesea).