Catholic Parish of St Francis Xavier - St Clare

In the Franciscan tradition

You are using an unlicensed and unsupported version of DotNetNuke Enterprise Edition. Please contact sales@dnncorp.com for information on how to obtain a valid license.

Parish History

1904

Weatherboard school/hall erected, (approximate cost of £450)

1911

Commencement of the building of St Francis Xavier's Hall (Fr Gleeson)

1912

Completion of St Francis Xavier's Hall, which then served as School, Hall and Church (cost £1,050)

1923

Purchase of land that is the site of the current Church

1926

Building of the Church (cost £7,000)

1926 (11th July)

Consecrated of the foundation stone by Archbishop Mannix

1927 (24th April)  

Official opening of the Parish of St Francis Xavier

1927

Commencement of Liturgical activity with the first Parish Priest - Fr Norman Clack

1928

Arrival of the Sisters of the order of Our Lady of Sion and opening of an elementary school and a girls' high school

1942

Building of Presbytery on the corner of Clota Avenue and Whitehorse Road

1951 and 1955

Additions to the School

1956

Building of original tennis courts

1956

The name of St Clare's approved by the Archdiocese for the new parish

1957

Founding of St Clare's North Box Hill

1959

Beginning of renovations to the Church (SFX)

1960

Extension of the sanctuary and transfer of altar (SFX)

1963-65

Enlargement of sacristy and addition of east and west transepts and two confessionals (SFX)

1960s

Long stained glass windows in the transepts (SFX)

1967

Formation of a Parish Council at St Francis Xavier's

Mid 1970s

Beginning of Italian Masses on Sundays at SFX

1975

Franciscans accept the care of the Parish of St Francis Xavier

1977

First outdoor Cemetery Mass

1980s

Commencement of youth Stations of the Cross on Good Friday at SFX

1988

Library and administration area of the school built (SFX)

1993

Building of the new Parish House (SFX)

1998

New tennis courts and clubroom on Dorking Road

1998

Franciscans accept the care of the Parish of St Clare

2002

75 year celebrations (SFX) over a period of 18 months culminating in the publication of our stories in book form

St Clare's School Timeline

1950’s 

Land on the corner of Woodhouse Grove and Killara Street Box Hill North was purchased by Fr. Gleeson, Parish Priest of Box Hill.

1955

Fr. Conquest, who took over the Box Hill Parish from Fr. Gleeson, made plans to erect a building on the land.

1956

Work began on the building, which was to serve as a Church and a School.

1957

Classes began in May, Sister Ambrosine in charge of Prep, Grades 1 and 2.

1962

St Clare’s was separated from St. Francis Xavier’s and became a parish in its own right.

1962

Fr. Leo Kelly arrived in Box Hill North on April 26. Fr. Kelly conducted a census of the Parish which showed the urgent need for additional classrooms and a place to celebrate Mass.

1962

In September, work began in excavating what was the basement area. Men of the parish volunteered their labour and their enthusiasm and dedication was rewarded with Mass being celebrated in the new section of the building before Christmas.

1963

In May, only eight months after construction began, the new classrooms were opened and blessed by His Grace, Bishop Stewart.

1963

In July, classes extended to Grade 3. Enrolment has increased from 83 to 202 in two years.

1966

St Clare’s provided a full range of classes, Prep to Grade 6.

1968

St Clare’s formed a Little Athletics Club.

1970

The first Annual Inter House Sports was held with children from Prep to grade 6 competing. For the first four years the sports were held at Springfield Park.

1974

The Inter House Sports were relocated to Hagenauers Reserve.

1980

The Harrison Street property acquired from the Uniting Church in the early 1980’s.

1982

358 pupils enrolled at the school.

1984

Celebration of the 40th Anniversary of Ordination of Fr. Leo Kelly.

1990

Ordination to the priesthood of past pupil, Damian Kavanagh O.M.I.

2003

Farewell Mass on 30th November.

2003

12th December, the very last school day at St Clare’s.

2003

Year 6 Graduation Mass held on 14 December.

Copies of "The Clarean" (The Story of St Clare Parish 1962 - 2012) are available from the Parish Office @ $30 per copy. Orders: 9890 2231 or boxhill@cam.org.au