You are using an unlicensed and unsupported version of DotNetNuke Enterprise Edition. Please contact sales@dnncorp.com for information on how to obtain a valid license.
History
It was in 1853 that the site for the Parish was fixed; but it was not until 1859 that it was established.  On 14th November that year the Archdiocese of Melbourne applied for and was granted a half acre in the new land subdivision.

The Parish was initially named St. John Berchman’s after a young Jesuit Saint. Prior to this time the area had been under the care of the Jesuit Fathers of the Hawthorn Mission. The first appointed Parish Priest was Father Peter McGee.

An appeal was launched in 1912 for people to buy 50,000 stones for the new Church. It is built of Barrabool stone from Waurn Ponds, Geelong.  Father George Robinson was the builder.

The Foundation Stone was laid on 25th May 1913 by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Rev. Thomas Carr D.D., in the presence of 45,000 people.

Our Lady of Victories was opened by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Rev. Daniel Mannix, D.D., on the 6th October 1918, with 80,000 people in attendance. Special trains and trams had to be provided.

The organ was built in Co. Cork, Ireland, at a cost of £3,000 and installed in 1920. Installation of the stained glass windows was completed in 1924.

The church was consecrated on the 25th May 1925 by the Bishop of Sandhurst, the Most Rev. John McCarthy D.D. The stations of the cross were installed in 1929.

Pope John Paul II proclaimed Our Lady of Victories  a Minor Basilica on the 9th December 1996.

BASILICA OF OUR LADY OF VICTORIES | 548 Burke Road, Camberwell VIC 3124 | Phone: 9816 9291 | Email: camberwell@cam.org.au


The Archdiocese is committed to the safety, wellbeing and dignity of all children and vulnerable adults.