Jesus is at the heart of all evangelising and missionary activity. It is from Jesus that we draw our strength and inspiration. It is to Jesus that we bring our hopes for ourselves, the church and the world, and it is with Jesus that we walk from the darkness of the tomb into the light of the world. We are called to be the light, to be people of mercy, to spread the Good News.
This Extraordinary Missionary Month offers us an opportunity to renew our efforts to grow in discipleship with the Lord. So let us accept this gracious invitation for the month of October. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus and renew our personal relationship with him. Let us draw upon our ancestors in faith and join our footsteps with theirs as we go out to all the world to proclaim the Good News: ’Throughout the world, let us be “permanently in a state of mission”’ (Pope Francis, Evangelii Gaudium, §25).
In describing the Church on mission, Pope Francis says “we view the world with God’s own eyes and heart”. Catholic Mission have organised a number of activities for people to participate. Don’t miss out on a range of events
which exercise the senses and open up our eyes and hearts to a world in need of the hope-filled message of the Gospel.
Resources for Parishes/Schools
Click the link below to download a number of resources prepared to assist individuals and groups to enter into the Extraordinary Month of Mission.
The resource contains:
- the Prayer for the Extraordinary Missionary Month: the prayer can be downloaded as a prayer card or reproduced in newsletters and bulletins during October. And perhaps, throughout October, all meetings could commence with the Missionary Month prayer.
- a reflection by Fr Noel Connelly SSC: ‘Mission—God’s liberating plan for the universe’. This reflection contains some questions for personal reflection and could be used as a formation tool in a meeting or as a resource for group discussion
- Pope Francis’ message for World Mission day 2019, for individual and group use
- some tips on how to live the Missionary Month
- newsletter and bulletin notices for the Missionary Month
- a reflection on saints in the Catholic tradition
- reflection sheets based on the gospels for the Sundays in October.
In addition, a calendar has been prepared that contains a short reflection of or scripture text for the days of October. The text can be used as a daily reflection or downloaded in its entirety.