About the Rite
The Rite of Election is a very important and beautiful rite of the church. In 2018, the Rite will take place on:
Sunday 18 February (First Sunday of Lent)
St Patrick's Cathedral
It is at this liturgy that the Church makes its “election,” of those catechumens who have the dispositions that make them fit to take part, at the next major celebration, in the sacraments of initiation. Our baptised candidates have already been chosen “elected” so they have the opportunity to stand with their sponsors who will bear their testimony about the candidate’s readiness to receive the sacraments at Easter.
For those of us accompanying the catechumens and candidates in their faith journey, or for those present at the Cathedral, the witnessing of this call to faith also enriches our own faith life and is a precious gift we can take back to our local parish community.
This year we have adopted an online process using Trybooking to enable a more efficient method of collating parish information. The date for the 2018 Rite of Election is Sunday 18 February, the First Sunday of Lent. This is very early in the year and therefore we will need to have this important information imputed via Trybooking by mid-January 2018.
Registration will be open from Thursday 23 November 2017 until Wednesday 7 February 2018. Note: Please ensure correct spelling of all names. Seats are allocated on ‘first come, first served’ basis.
Allocated seating in St Patrick’s Cathedral is available for:
- Catechumens & Godparents
- Candidates & Sponsors
- Parish Priest
- RCIA Coordinator
- 2 x RCIA parish team members
Numbered seats will be allocated for the above parish groups as required. For your reference, a pew seats about seven people. On the day, the name of the parish will be displayed on each pew and we will have ushers available to assist you with seating. Name tags will be available on your allocated seat.
When will we know our allocated seats? By Wednesday 14 February each parish (via their RCIA Coordinator) will be advised of their allocated seats.
Unallocated seating is available for family and friends behind the reserved seating section and at the sides of the Cathedral. There is plenty of room for all and we would strongly recommend you encourage as many family members and parish people to attend this rite to show their love and support.
Each parish will need to prepare a scroll for catechumens and a scroll for candidates. These scrolls will be presented to Archbishop Hart during the Rite of Election. The scrolls are rolled and tied with a ribbon of your choice. After the Rite of Election, the names on the scrolls are transcribed into the Book of Elect, which is held at the Cathedral. The scrolls will then be returned by mail to the RCIA Coordinator at the +Parish address.
Please ensure correct spelling of the names of your catechumens and candidates. The names of the catechumens will be transcribed into the Book of the Elect.
Event information (Registration, parking, etc.)
- On the day, registration will be open from 1.30pm.
- One person (RCIA Coordinator) should register the whole parish group. The rest of RCIA Team can then be seated with the assistance of the ushers.
- Ushers and a team of people will be present to help all attendees with seating.
- Parking around the Cathedral is limited, so you may wish to travel to the Cathedral by public transport on the day. Alternatively, there are parking centres available in the surrounding streets (Wilson Parking on Albert Street, ACU, St Vincent's Hospital etc.).
What to do now
- The RCIA Coordinator will need to log onto Trybooking (https://www.trybooking.com/SVEX) and complete the information/registration.
- Online registration will be open from Thursday 23 November 2017 until Wednesday 7 February 2018. Please ensure you have the correct spelling of all names.
- Seats are allocated on ‘first come, first served’ basis.
- Download a copy of the Rite of Election 2018 Checklist to assist in your preparation for the day.
If you have any further enquiries regarding the Rite of Election or require assistance with the Trybooking link, please contact: